Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Debt: Legally cancelling a debt over 3 years old

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Chancers trying to squeeze the last drop of blood out of you
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

2. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (08-Apr-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fouchee View Post
    Do I walk the "prescribed" route with confidence in this case?
    Depends if the debt arises out of a judgement, which given the scenario certainly sounds possible.

Ordinarily the first step is to request that they prove their claim. This is to set out in detail as to how the debt arises.
    I suppose given the time period involved since the last action, you could claim prescription. The onus would then be on them to establish why the debt has not prescribed.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (06-Apr-14)

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    A judgement only prescribes after 30 years
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (06-Apr-14)

Thanks
    Hi Guys

I am new on the forum I got to know about this forum via Google while looking for an answer to my legal problem. My legal problem relates to some of the debts against my name which I believe they might have prescribed based on some of the similar scenarios found on this forum. What I would like to be advise of is who do I contact first to claim prescription? the creditor or the credit bereu, in the mean time I have sent an email to the credit bereu (Experian) asking them to forward me the contact details of the creditors that listed me with them, with a view to contact the creditor claiming the removal of the adverse information against my name. One of the creditor is African Bank which I with a debt that became due in 2008 but according to the info on my credit profile record they last received payment to this acc in 2010 which I doubt is true, but I need advise I someone can be for I can do anything. Thank you guys - Vanash I salute

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickZ View Post
    Hi Guys

I am new on the forum I got to know about this forum via Google while looking for an answer to my legal problem. My legal problem relates to some of the debts against my name which I believe they might have prescribed based on some of the similar scenarios found on this forum. What I would like to be advise of is who do I contact first to claim prescription? the creditor or the credit bereu, in the mean time I have sent an email to the credit bereu (Experian) asking them to forward me the contact details of the creditors that listed me with them, with a view to contact the creditor claiming the removal of the adverse information against my name. One of the creditor is African Bank which I with a debt that became due in 2008 but according to the info on my credit profile record they last received payment to this acc in 2010 which I doubt is true, but I need advise I someone can be for I can do anything. Thank you guys - Vanash I salute
    Morning Patrick,

Welcome to TFSA

There's loads of invaluable information right here on TFSA! Have a look at the business related forums, it will add value to your business
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Depends if the debt arises out of a judgement, which given the scenario certainly sounds possible.

Ordinarily the first step is to request that they prove their claim. This is to set out in detail as to how the debt arises.
    I suppose given the time period involved since the last action, you could claim prescription. The onus would then be on them to establish why the debt has not prescribed.
    Tnx for your reply Dave.
    There was no judgement against this debt. I did my last transaction with ABSA in 2007 and that was the very last time there was any contact/communication between them and me. My last credit check made this year shows a ridiculous judgement from an attorney for R223-83 ,then I have a judgement for R100k (from 2008) related to my foreclosed company where I signed surety, but nothing related to ABSA.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Good day, I've stumbled across this forum after googling about debts older than 3 years. I've also just squizzed through this thread and am astonished at the claims made here.

Id like to know how i can make use of this process to alleviate myself of old debt i have, as i have a few people still hounding me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by King8V View Post
    Id like to know how i can make use of this process to alleviate myself of old debt i have, as i have a few people still hounding me.
    This should probably be your next read then - Debt: How to claim prescription in practice and how to enter a special plea.

12. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (02-Sep-14)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Ok, read through that now. So if a judgement was obtained by ABSA, relating to a credit card i had with, that is considered a judgement debt? and is valid for 30years?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by King8V View Post
    Ok, read through that now. So if a judgement was obtained by ABSA, relating to a credit card i had with, that is considered a judgement debt? and is valid for 30years?
    In short a judgment debt stays on credit bureaus for a full five years from the date of the judgment being lodged with the credit bureau before it is automatically expunged. A judgment debt is collectable for 30 years and, yes, it prescribes in 30 years. The rationale is that you may not be financially on your feet at this stage, but should you win the lottery in 10 years times, that creditor can still successfully collect on the judgment debt.
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast