Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Accounting Software

Thanks
    Dave, there is no POR for the Free Version!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not interested in the free version. I'd definitely need enterprise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I'm not interested in the free version. I'd definitely need enterprise.
    The Enterprise version is R 8 373 for a single user. Pricing is incremental. The cost of a 5 user would be R 20 970, 10 user it is R 35 864 and for a 100 user R 207 628.

All prices include VAT.

4. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (28-Aug-11)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quite a slow download

Price looks OK at first glance (given that I got a quote of over R250k for SAP with 7 users), but if I go this route it seems there are some other costs to factor in.
    I see I'll need to buy SQL server 2008 and Crystal Reports, not to mention set up a new server (current one is running Kubuntu Server)...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Simmonds View Post
    I am really quite surprised that Quickbooks is even allowed to be sold in SA!
    Why shouldn't Quickbooks be allowed to be sold in SA?

Thanks
    Quite a slow download

Price looks OK at first glance (given that I got a quote of over R250k for SAP with 7 users), but if I go this route it seems there are some other costs to factor in.
    I see I'll need to buy SQL server 2008 and Crystal Reports, not to mention set up a new server (current one is running Kubuntu Server)...
    Dave, there is no need to purchase SQL Server and unless you want to constantly update every single form and report that runs, then no need for Crystal Reports. Normally one can use the trial version when needed to do modifications to the reports. No new server is required, SQL Server Express (Free) will run on almost any half decent PC, with absolutely no issues.

Why shouldn't Quickbooks be allowed to be sold in SA?
    This is of course my opinion: I have a new client who uses Quickbooks, and on doing my checks and balances regarding the Accounting Officer's report I noticed that there were numerous invoice numbers missing from the run of numbers for the financial year. I enquired as to what had happened to these invoices, and was informed that they were incorrect and deleted from the system. So I thought this was strange and that my client (IT guru) was just mis-informed, and double checked with the bookkeeper who confirmed the issue. She also informed me that in speaking to a CA friend of hers, that the CA had warned her about this.

SARS obviously has a major issue with this! But any business owner should too, because what is stopping any employee from issuing an invoice, receiving payment and deleting the invoice, after pocketing the cash.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Simmonds View Post
    I enquired as to what had happened to these invoices, and was informed that they were incorrect and deleted from the system. So I thought this was strange and that my client (IT guru) was just mis-informed, and double checked with the bookkeeper who confirmed the issue. She also informed me that in speaking to a CA friend of hers, that the CA had warned her about this.

SARS obviously has a major issue with this! But any business owner should too, because what is stopping any employee from issuing an invoice, receiving payment and deleting the invoice, after pocketing the cash.
    That's why there's an audit trail

Effectively Palladium does the same thing in allowing editable transactions. The difference is the way Palladium does it, it's recorded in the GL with automatic credit note and invoice generation. In Quickbooks you need to use the audit trail functionality to find edited and deleted transactions, which in my view actually makes mischief easier to find.

8. Thanks given for this post:

Mike Simmonds (29-Aug-11)

Thanks
    That's why there's an audit trail

In Quickbooks you need to use the audit trail functionality to find edited and deleted transactions, which in my view actually makes mischief easier to find.
    Thanks, I will ask him to activate this functionality.

Yes, catching the offenders probably is! Preventing it in the first place, because they know it is not hidden, would be my preferred approach

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    An early impression. Looks like Pastel Accounting should be feeling a little nervous. This looks like a serious competitor.

If Palladium ever works out that hidden account and transaction numbering and indexing is the secret to Quickbooks' usability, they might even give Quickbooks a run for their money one day.

Thanks
    Hi Mike

Haven't downloaded or looked into the software yet - does it have the functionality of invoicing in foreign currencies? and does it have a warehouse module for consignment stock?

just for basic invoicing in foreign currency and they have stock which they sent on consignment to distributors which get invoiced on a monthly basis - but to be quite honest i don't know what the shareholders want - i suggested pastel partner with the add on modules as i have used these before and they work quite well, but they currently have pastel xpress which does not do any justice to it and that is why they want to change
    Last edited by geraldenek; 29-Aug-11 at 10:18 PM.
    Geraldene Kapp
    Professional Tax Help
    www.mytaxhelp.co.za

Thanks
    Hi Geraldene

The Enterprise version has full foreign currency functionality in all areas.

The inventory system does allow for the creation of multiple warehouses and by using the "Other Activities" classification, it will typically remove it from your own stock and place it as unavailable until transferred back to an invoicing warehouse.

I hope this touches on some of the areas, but I am more than willing to help you find a solution, irrespective of the chosen product.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast