Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell C 3G

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Cell C 3G

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone having problems with Cell C 3G?

For almost 2 weeks now I am have an extremely difficult time with the internet. Modem connects at full signal to the network but the connection just sits dead.

The problem is really slowing me down and my list of things to do is pilling up!!!

J

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nothing dramatic to report. I have occasional incidents where Cell C does not respond to a page requests.

Mind you, I was having issues a little while back. Solved by setting to connect via 3G (or was it UMTS?) only. For whatever reason the modem had suddenly decided it liked connecting via GSM and that was buggy as hell.

Thanks
    Sorry, I am out of this one. Had so much trouble I gave it away. The first 3 months were great then suddenly full signal but no link.

Email problem
    Thanks
    i am using cell C 3g... Its fast and good. Sometimes the network goes down.. This only happens after midnight for about 30 mins.

Email problem
    Thanks
    You probably don't have coverage in your area. They were supposed to let you know that that might happen when you bought it. It happens to my friend too. At his house it works great but at his sister's, not so well...

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Just an update...

First thing is that my internet connection with Cell C has worked perfect from Jan up until now...

Same computer, same area, same desk, everything the same...

Tried Cell C call center the only thing they ask you to do everytime you call is, remove modem, uninstall software, re install modem in a different port... If it still doesn't work you need to book it in for repairs... Took it to a Cell C store, they tested it and it worked perfect... Now I even got the latest software and firmware but still giving me hassles...

Works well sometimes like now and doesn't work at all sometimes...

I am putting this down to the fact that the Cell C network is becoming\become saturated in my area... hence when I really need the connection it does not work...

Sad thing is I still have 3 months left on this sim...

Sorry for all the dots...

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    In my attempt to be connected to the world and not spend more money on a second internet connection, I last week moved my laptop to near the window and hung the Cell C 3G stick on the burglar guards - worked for a few days.

Now today its not working so well, so I spent the day doing some hobby work

Only now I am thinking to get this dam thing to work I am going to have to sit outside

Thanks
    I don't know where you get your patience from Singhms but I would have dumped the entire dongle, cable and contract in the bin by now. If sitting outside doesn't work you could always build a lapa on stilts to improve your elevation in your quest for a better signal strength or maybe try wrapping one side of your house in tin foil :-)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    lol @AndyD

Only problem is I need to get my new laptop before sitting anywhere outside as my current laptop is old and the battery only lasts about 2 seconds

Thanks
    You've heard of extension cords right?

Or perhaps you should look at an extension USB cable to have the dongle be able to move further away from your laptop?

I'm sorry to say, I think those dongles are a total waste of time. I've never had a CellC one, but both the dongles I had from MTN and Vodacom would die periodically, necessitating me to restart the PC to reconnect after unplugging the dongle.

Anyhow, I've not had any problem since using my smart phone as my modem. It's connection is nearly always at full strength at home, and it's faster than the dongle! And it charges while I've got it connected. And if the network goes down and the connection drops (which happens maybe once a month on Vodacom), all I need to do is click on reconnect on the PC. And I can still make / receive calls / sms's while using it as a modem. Now why exactly would I want to get a dongle?
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast