Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 255Gig Flash Drives

Thanks

255Gig Flash Drives

I have obtained a 255gig usb flash drive. It only takes 25gig of data. I have already reformatted it to no avail. I am busy repartitioning it to see if that will work. At R150 it is still a bargain, but I would like to load 255gig on it though. Does anyone out there have one that works?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Where did you purchase it?

Thanks
    It comes from the UK. A friend is getting them from one of his friends who lives there now. He changed the NTFS format to FAT but that did not work so he asked me to change it back to NTFS. When formatted in FAT you only have access to the data until you remove the drive. When you plug it in again there is nothing on it. With the NTFS format you can remove the drive but still have access when you plug it in again.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Sounds dodge. I'd get rid of it. last thing you want is your shiny new flash drive corrupting your data.

Thanks
    I want to use it for storage. I have 6 hard drives and 3 are in the red. ! has 15gig and 1 has 41gig available. I just got my 6th one and am going to use ti for my new "C" drive which is the one with 15gig available. Only my programs are loaded on the "C" drive. All the program data and files are on other drives. At R150.00 it is still cheap even if it only takes 15gig.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    To me the idea of data storage is to be able to retrieve the data reliably at a later date. I agree with Andrew - that device seems dodgy - I've never heard of a device that fails to operate correctly in FAT32. Yes it may format smaller but it doesn't stop working reliably.

Buy a 2TB drive

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That is doggy as hell my friend, you do not get 255Gb flash drives “not yet” biggest I know about is 32Gb and then you only get like 25gb out of it if you are lucky. NTFS is the better then FAT32 because if you have a 4.2GB single file like a DVD image it cannot be stored in FAT32. It is max out on 3.9Gb give or take on FAT32.

Rather invest in a 1Tb or something they are not that expensive. Even better start backing up to DVD, it is time consuming but if you don’t abuse the DVD’s keep them in good condition they are a safe medium for backup “that said use proper DVD’s” if you write on crap they will not last and you will lose in the end.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    You would need to run tools on the flash drive that can go in at low level. Maybe Acronis Disk manager or similar.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The USB flash sticks are memory FET cells which store the data, so they are prone to loose information or to fail. USB sticks are not recomended for long term data storage, but rather short term or moving data around type of storage. They are prone to fail due to plugging in and out, and are usually made on multilayer boards in whchi the USB connector is soldered on. Mechanical stresses can break the fragile board causing failure.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    @Sparks - you've been had, just throw that thing away, it is not to be trusted with your data. 256GB flash drives is available and will cost in the region of R 7000-00.

As tec0 said - rather buy and external hard drive.

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast