Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comparing SA Banks

Thanks
    You're the expert can we do this and include the results in the wiki for posterity? or maybe do it in the blog and extrapolate the results?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I cannot tell you who are the best but ABSA BANK GROUP are probably the worst. As a check-acount holder you don’t get a “Smart Card” you get an easy to clone piece of crap and you can complain about it but the manager’s nose is in the air so they don’t hear you…

Banking there is like having your tonsils removed via an old used toilet scrubber. There is always a bad attitude with management and that is only the start of it.

You don’t get assistance when you need it. The elderly have to stand in long rows because there is only 1 person aiding them, if you want information about your car finance you have to use a RED PHONE after you stood in a row at the help desk for about an hour! An HOUR!!! And you need a printout, now the help desk staff cannot understand that I as a customer need a print out. That damn RED PHONE doesn’t come with a PRINTER!!! But that is incomprehensible for the help desk.

If you ask the help desk in your home language HE OR SHE can never understand you if you speak in English you have to repeat yourself constantly! An “Majority person” can do banking in his/her own language. They “the help desk” are NOT audible at all most of the time so it is like talking to the wall. They cannot assist you even on the simplest request.

They will claim that they called you several times if you have to come in for something but your phone records do not reflect this. They will misplace your motor vehicle’s ownership papers and claim you are to blame.

There ATM’s are always out of funds or never working!!! When you want to swipe your card inside the mall they cannot process the information or you get an error claiming the card is no longer in use!!! OR your damn unprotected card gets cloned and you magically lose money!!!

There bank charges are really high and if you want to transfer money from bank to bank they take a good helping for “processing the funds” fact is they keep your money ransom that is the truth! You cannot get your money out of ABSA BANK without losing a massive amount! Honestly it is like steeling!

If you have a "good" amount of money in ABSA Bank you have my sympathy, but if you can close your account and GET OUT of ABSA do so… They are truly the worst bank in South Africa.

And basically I am forced “due to their high banking fees” to keep my account open because I will lose simply too much in banking cost to move my account else were. In short I am being blackmailed.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You have choices in life mate. Change your bank. It will cost you nothing and you will save in the long run. As consumers we do not have to put up with bad service. We can take our business elsewhere. Stop wingeing and do something.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The transfer cost or even a check will set me back more then what I am willing to lose, they didn’t earn it. But I am slowly working my way around that maybe soon.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Teco, the way you do it is to open an account at the new bank then all future business goes there, you don't have to transfer all your funds there immediately.
    Eventually the account at the old bank will wind down, sure it will cost you PM to keep the old account for the month or two it takes to wind down but in the end it will be worth it.
    Don't say anything to the old bank until the new account is up and running perfectly, you don't want to burn any bridges until you are sure of the new bank. ;D
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at

6. Thanks given for this post:

Blurock (02-Aug-11)

Thanks
    Someone else is unhappy with her bank

http://www.newstime.co.za/column/Bev...ways/110/3744/
    Arianna Huffington

8. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (03-Aug-11)

Thanks
    I switched from Std to Nedbank a few years back - did not last long!

I find the Std internet banking is outstanding (it is compared to Nedbank) - don't know how it compares to others.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    True, Phil, Nedbank's internet banking feels a little archaic compared to the other banks.

Thanks
    It seems that all banks, yes... all, are nothing more than money-making, greed fueled, apocalypses. Watch the relatively new Capitec, it's a matter of time before they too go up ahead and down the tubes. The kicker is if you took all your capital and stuck it under your mattress, paid everything cash, you would be left with more cash at the end of the month, but of course, you can't do this because your damn salary has to be paid into an account!
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Suspended
    Thanks
    no it doesnt you can have it sent directly to your phone....

my wife did the experiment...she got fed up with standard bank and moved to fnb....because they sounded like the best option...free this and that ...cheaper rates etc etc

she wont be moving all her stuff there because she has been trying to up load beneficeries said there are pass word after password...and if you get it wrong you start all over again ...thats not the worse part...if you need halp you call them and it costs R50 per call...how many of you knew that...which thety only tell you once you make the call....mmmm maybe i will just keep getting ripped off by standard bank for now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast