Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Management Consulting Company Name

Platinum Member
    Thanks

Management Consulting Company Name

Hello Guys & Gals,

I am trying to come up with a name for a management consulting company.

Company will be doing basically, strategic management consulting\business consulting.

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks,

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ah, the joys of coming up with a business name.

We spent days brainstorming a name for our business, only to come up with something as simplistic as Red Giant.

My suggestion is keep it simple and memorable - having something that can be clearly/cleverly represented in a logo is always a bonus. If the name is too long or confusing, it's less likely that you are going to be remembered.

Good luck!

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice Mark,

What you say makes very good sense, especially the part about logos etc...

This is my second time round now and the first time I definitely didn't consider the effects on logos, signage etc...

and talking about the Red Giant, I have been thinking about your company name, it is actually very well taught out.

Thanks,

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Start with your sales pitch. What business are you in and what do you sell? Now say it in one word...or two.

Do not call yourself Momma's Pies if are actually a plumber or an accountant. Red Giant is a design company and you can actually imagine their logo without seeing it. Can you achieve the same for your business?

Not easy is it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks JWalker.

As Blurock has hinted at, good branding entails making sure that people remember your brand easily. The name doesn't even have to relate to what you do specifically. (Red Giant hardly hints at a design studio.) "Management Consulting" would simply be added to your name to remind people what you do, similar to how "Design Studio" is added to Red Giant. Just keep it simple.

Perhaps try to think of nouns and adjectives to do with the consulting/management consulting industry. Could you incorporate any of them into a clever/memorable name? What about your USP (unique selling point)? What makes your business different from all the other management consultants?

One other thing to bear in mind is a possible slogan. Consider your target market. What appeals to your ideal customer? For example, our primary target is the small business market, young entrepreneurs particularly - hence our slogan "Small business. BIG image." is relevant and appealing to them. You don't need to have a slogan, but sometimes it's a nice touch and gives more insight into your business.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Guys,

I think sometimes this is the most difficult part of starting a business

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JWalker View Post
    Thanks Guys,

I think sometimes this is the most difficult part of starting a business
    Wait till you get to your logo design

Best of luck!
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

Thanks
    I like acronyms say MACKfirm MAnagement Consulting and Knowledge Firm. These have gone out of vogue so let them have a comeback.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Blurock: I believe your name should capture the essense of your market, your service/product and your philosophy. Your slogan could focus on your USP. For instance, I don't think you would get away with a name that includes words like "eish" or "dude", but you would require a more sophisticated name to reflect professionalism. Try brainstorming a whole LOT of names, just anything and everything that comes to mind. Take an entire day to think of (like Mark said) adjectives and nouns and write them all down. Some words that jump to my mind when I think of management/business: board room, GP, grow, max/maximise, vision, plan. The next day, with a fresh eye, you sort them into piles of good / better / rubbish. Take the "better" ones and flesh them out to see if you can imagine a logo, a letter head, a website, etc.

Another issue to consider of course is your domain name, if you plan to have a website. This is where I found myself stuck between a rock and a horrible place. I chose a name for my business without checking whether or not that domain name was available. Well, it wasn't, and while the owner of the domain name doesn't actually use it, he will only part with for a ridiculous amount of money. I think they call them domain squatters? Perhaps you won't mind if your webaddress and your business' name are not the same, but I found this very frustrating, and wish I had thought of it before registering the business' name.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Came across this short video on choosing a business name. They give 3 good tips for choosing a name that one might not think of.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/video/220142

(This is irrelevant in JWalker's case as I know that he has already chosen a name, but for anybody else who may be brainstorming a business name, it's worth a watch.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast