There are a few factors to consider in setting this policy.
- The primary purpose of the site is to promote discussion and understanding of business related issues in South Afrca.
- The costs of operating the site is financed entirely by paid advertising.
- The site's advertising agents ensure the ads are appropriately matched to the content and/or the interests of the members and guests.
- Regular visitors come to the site for the discussion, not the ads.
- Due to the quality of the content, a number of other South African websites and interest groups syndicate the public RSS feed of The Forum SA.
- There are numerous free classified advertising and directory sites to serve the "free advertsing" market if that is all that you are interested in.
- Regular contributors to the content of the site deserve recognition and privileges for their efforts.
To balance these interests, no member may use The Forum SA to either advertise or promote commercial endeavors, which includes direct posts, as well as active links to other sites on the Internet, except under the following conditions:
- You may include URLs or active links to commercial sites within posted content, reasonable in number, for the sole purpose of expanding on comments or providing additional information as part of regular forum interactions.
- You may include up to two URLs or active links to commercial sites within your signature, provided that it complies with the guideline on how to set up a signature for The Forum SA. (Remember it's a business card, not a full page ad).
- You may include information about your business with URLs and active links in an introductory post in the Meet and Great introductions forum for new members.
- You may occassionally post an advert in the Member Ads and marketing forum.
- You may include information about your business with URLs and active links in your member profile.
No new or ordinary member may post an affiliate link, a link to framed content for the purpose of facilitating an affiliate program, or links that are redirects to content that incorporates an affiliate program without the prior permission of the site administrator. Members that have achieved TFSA Local status do not require prior permission to post affiliate links.
TFSA Local benefits
Once a member has achieved TFSA Local status, they will be able to set up their own blog in the Blogs section and their blogs may include advertorial content and associated links in the body and widgets of the blog.
Silver Club benefits
There is an additional free banner marketing opportunity provided to Silver Club members. Details of this program are available in the Silver Club forum.
To do: post article on status progression at TFSA.